My passions in the animals come off my personal youngsters when i put so you can chase lizards (Eremias argus) from the industries. I pursued it notice because the an enthusiastic undergraduate at Nankai College then a scholar student within Chinese Academy out of Sciences. We then spent five years while the an associate curator of herpetology at Institute away from Zoology (Beijing), hence expended my welfare inside the systematics, and eventually provided us to this new School off Toronto where I presented my Ph.D. browse on the molecular phylogenetics away from lacertid lizards. Because a post-doctoral search fellow during the College off California (Berkeley), I became alot more alert to exactly how molecular phylogenetics might be applied so you’re able to evolutionary biology.
Since i arrive at Guelph, my personal research has focused on unit phylogenetics and it is application so you can the research regarding speciation, sexual selection and you can maintenance
- B.South carolina. – Tianjin 1985
- Meters.South carolina. – Chengdu 1988
- Ph.D. – Toronto 1998
My personal search is designed to know evolutionary activities into the absolute communities and you can the fresh new elements behind them, having an emphasis on the historic views.
Elevational gradient will bring one of the flip through this site best expertise having discovering transformative development. We have been dealing with several groups of poikilothermic animals. All of them well-known types at or just around new Tibetan Plateau, consequently they are simple to identify and obtain in the great outdoors. 1) Toad-headed lizards of your own genus Phrynocephalus are general into main China desert and lots of of those try genuine high- height dwellers (5300m) of one’s Tibetan Plateau. Highest height species (age.grams.Phrynocephalus vlangalii) keeps a number of hereditary and you can physiological qualities one to more than likely depict adaptation to help you highest-height environment. 2) This new Asiatic toad (Bufo gargarizans) takes up numerous hill selections all over an extremely large elevational gradient off 0 so you’re able to 4300m. Particular communities were Plateau dwellers for around 2.5 an incredible number of many years. It provides a good possibility to make intra-certain comparison. We have been examining these organisms away from morphological, behavioural, psychological and you will genomic membership.
The most practical unit from biodiversity is the varieties, and you will understanding the speciation procedure is the key to own knowledge biodiversity. Phylogenetic studies creates opportunities to view types regarding an ancient and you can evolutionary perspective, and you can genomic study promote a capacity to have a look at record during the numerous account, such genetics, populations, and you may variety. We’re already studying an effective frog variety (Odorrana margaratea) having a ring-molded variation trend around the Sichuan Basin within west China. The small spatial level (mini ring), numerous communities, existence out-of multiple crossbreed areas, and a clearly depicted history give advanced level chances to view the advancement from reproductive isolation inside the face away from gene flow.
Since i visited Guelph, my studies have concerned about molecular phylogenetics and it’s app to the research from speciation, sexual choice and maintenance
- Fu, J., and you may R. Wen. 2023. Impacts of Quaternary glaciation, geological records and you may topography on animal species records in the continental East Asia: a beneficial phylogeographic review. Unit Environment.
- Chen, Y., S. Bronze, and you may J. Fu. 2022. Altered metabolism and you can a reaction to Ultraviolet rediation: gene phrase variations with each other an elevational gradient on Asiatic toad (Bufo gargarizans). Log off Molecular Development ninety: 389-399.
- Atlas, J. E. and you can J. Fu. 2021. A lso are-comparison of positive alternatives into mitochondrial genomes regarding higher-level Phrynocephalus lizards. Diary out of Molecular Progression 89(1-2): 95-102.
- Wen, Grams. and J. Fu. 2021. Isolation and you can lso are-connection: the market background and you will multiple contact zones of the Green Odorous Frog inside the Sichuan Basin. Molecular Environment 31: 4103-4117. DOI: /MEC.16021
- Qiao, L., G. Wen, Y. Qi, B. Lu, J. Hu, Z. Track, and you may J. Fu. 2018. Evolutionary melting containers and reproductive isolation: A ring-formed diversity of a keen odorous frog (Odorrana margaratea) within the Sichuan Basin. Unit Environment 27: 4888-4900. DOI: /mec.14899.
- Garcia, V.O., C. Ivy, and you can J. Fu. 2017. Syntopic frogs tell you various other designs out of correspondence for the land: A relative landscaping genetic examination of Pelophylax nigromaculatus and you may Fejervarya limnocharis out of main China. Environment and you can Progression eight:9294-9306. DOI: /ece3.3459.